It is only the second round !

Today morning started with the much awaited news of the conviction in Priyadarshani Matoo case. I feel happy but not relieved. This was only the high court. There is still supreme court to appeal to. And while the re-trial in High Court got on the fast track because of the public out cry, I do not know what will happen in SC. May be another 5-6 years followed by a public outcry will be the cycle there also with the only difference being that SC may consider the public outcry as a interference in court's working and pass a gag order barring discussion of the matter in the public.

No, I don't think that our justice system has gone to dogs completely but I do think that our SC takes itself a little too seriously. But anyway, today's conviction should bring some cheer to the Matoo family.

I was particularly interested in this case because of another reason. To give some background, CBI filed an appeal in high court way back in 2000. And although it is not a big deal for a case to stretch on for 5-6 years, the ground reason for these delays are often shocking. It turns out that in this case, it took 5-6 years to translate the case's paperbook which had around 300 pages of documents relating to case, from Hindi to English ! I work in Machine Translation and reading this disgusted me. I just wish I could go and deploy a MT system in the courts thus atleast removing one component of the whole delay process ! And though the story in this case has taken a happy turn, not everybody is as lucky and I really hope someday, I would be able to help some of them by removing at least one obstacle that this corrupt system places in their path.

Comments

I am said…
Its an interesting observation that you make.

"I don't think that our justice system has gone to dogs completely but I do think that our SC takes itself a little too seriously"

I don't quite understand the implication but as far as I have followed Indian polity and society, I feel SC has provided people of India a hope that all is not lost. That there are ears and eyes on the right side of the law that hear and see.

As regards Mattoo case I feel finally the firm elderly slap has been delivered to the people who think that law is their backyard where they can play gully cricket.

Popular posts from this blog

बिछड़ते दोस्तों के नाम

क्या लिखूं?

Do nightmares qualify for dreams?